Wednesday, July 20, 2011

obsessed with: ray eames

As a jewellery design student in Cape Town (a long time ago), my favourite book in the very cool Technikon library was a very big and heavy one about the work and lives of Charles and Ray Eames. Quite an old book, well thumbed and read by many. I can't even tell you how many times I borrowed the book from the library, only to go back to renew it for another week or two. Think I must have booked it out for a couple of months at least.

I fell in love with the designs of this formidable duo and I was particularly fascinated by the quirky, tiny, pinafore-wearing Mrs Eames. She was such an odd little thing in a time when women either stayed at home with babies or worked as secretaries.

Charles & Ray Eames (image from vitra.com)
Ray holding Dot Pattern Fabric Design, circa 1947 (image from eamesoffice.com)
Ray's Desk, 1976 (image from eamesoffice.com)
Ray with model of the Eames House. Photograph by Peter Stackpole for LIFE magazine, 1950. (image from Ordinary Finds) 


No comments:

Post a Comment