Thursday, July 21, 2011

memory card memories

As a child, my sister and I had this Memory Game. I've always loved the images on the cards and couldn't believe my luck when I tracked down this image on Flickr! Apparently it is a vintage German memory game from the late fifties or early sixties, but I distinctly remember the cover of the box as being very 80s. Bizarre. I asked my Mom in Cape Town if the cards are still lurking around somewhere at the back of the garage (of the house that I grew up in from birth and my parents stil live in) and she said yes, it is still there. The box cover is in Afrikaans (Geheue Spel = Memory Game) and it is registered to a company called Waddington House of Games in London.

I think this card game is probably one of the big reasons for my love of simple, colourful illustrations with a mid century modern feel. Thanks Mom! Brings back a lot of memories...


image from veloopity's Flickr photostream

2 comments:

  1. We also had this! My mom also still has it at home, said she couldn't bear to part with it. I loved it as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way! I still remember every single image. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete