Monday, July 19, 2010

Colour of the day: Monday Blues

It is barely 12 o'clock here in London and I'm already having a Blue Monday of epic proportions. Made me think about one of my favourite colours a lot today, which is inspired by the blue Dutch tiles of Delft, Holland. In my Afrikaans culture, coming from Dutch ancestry, most of our grandparents had these blue tiles and ceramics in their homes. It really conjures up the romantic, mysterious era of 17th century Holland, when the Dutch came to South Africa to colonise the Cape. I love this colour so much that I used it for my Delft Blue Retro Roosters tea towel (available in my Etsy shop) and I find great inspiration from the images on the ceramics.

Retro Roosters tea towel in Delft Blue by Mengselhttp://www.etsy.com/shop/mengseldesign

1 comment: